Tuesday, March 20, 2012

John Dorton White Collins, b. 1880 Rockhouse gndson Rev. James Shepard Collins

John Dorton White Collins
  1880 Rockhouse, Letcher co. Ky

Notes for John Dorton White Collins:
BIRTH: Tombstone.
DEATH: Same.
MARRIAGE: #1, B-13, P-320; #2, B-93, P-47, she 47, div; additional info. from Sallie Martinez.

John D. W. is mentioned in two books by Henry Caudill "The Mountain the Miner and the Lord" and Slender is the Thread".

From the Mountain Eagle,
 Thursday, July 19, 1973:
 Recollections of another time,
by John D. W. Collins.

I was born the 10th day of June 1880, on Rockhouse Creek in Letcher County near the Colson School House, the second son of Frank and Eliza Kelly Collins, one of a family of 14 children, four of which died in infancy. There are four sisters living, Creaty, Ethel, Oma and Ruth. I am the only boy living. My grandfather and mother on my father's side were Madison Collins and Ruth Hale Collins. My grandparents on my mother's side were John Kelley and Frankie Lucas Kelley.

Parents at that time expected their children to stay home and help work and
support the family. We had to do what our father told us to do such as hoeing corn and other farm chores. I have always been sentimental for the
underprivileged. When I was hoeing corn for my father I would pull up the
larger stalks in a hill of corn to give the little ones a chance to grow. My
father caught me at it and whipped me for not pulling up the small stalks. My brother Charley would pull out the small stalks but I thought this was not right.

My father thought it was a sin to go fishing in the winter time. In
February, 1893, my brother Charley and I were playing in the barn. It was a
saying that when red worms came to surface it was time to go fishing. Charley and I began to dig in the floor of the barn. We dug up some red worms. We thought it was time to go fishing and went to our old fishing hole, just above our home. We got so interested in catching fish we lost the time of day. Charley always done the feeding of the stock and I was to get in the fire wood for the night. We were so interested in catching fish that we forgot it was past time to do our chores. We heard our father calling us. We threw the balance of our bait into the fishing hole and started for home. We saw our father cutting some switches from a bench tree. We knew what was coming. I told Charley to go to the barn and feed the stock, and I would take the fish home and get in the firewood and maybe Dad wouldn't whip us when he sees the fish. I gave the fish to Mother, and she was pleased because she was just about to get supper and said she would clean the fish and have them for supper. When Charley got hrough feeding he came to the house and I heard Dad get him out in the front room and began to whip him. I kept on carrying in wood for the night, knowing it was my time next. I kept on carrying in wood until Dad said I had enough wood in for the night; then he gave me a good thrashing.

When super was ready Mother had a large platter of fish on the table along with a big pone of corn bread. My dad came to the table, seeing the fish he said, "Oh, we have fish for supper."

He lit into the fish-he was crazy about fish-and began to eat them. I was still hurting from the whipping and would not go to the table. He threatened to whip me again if I didn't come to super. I went to the table. After a while he said "ain't you ashamed to go fishing inthe winter time. I said, "You don't have to eat them. He got up and got his switch and began whipping me again for talking back to him. Mother got up and made him stop whipping me. He sat down to the table and began again to eat the fish. Mother took the platter of fish off the table. Dad asked her what she was doing that for. She told him, "You are not whipping Jim for catching the fish and then eat them up from him. He is going to have all the fish he wants before you get any more." Dad got mad and left the table. The next day we were down at the country store, where the neighbors gathered to swap yarns. Dad began bragging about what a great mess of fish he had the day before. I asked him what he was talking aboaut. He looked at me and made me go home.
He said I had no business there.

My father cleared a large new ground up the branch from where we lived. We planted it in corn. There were so many roots, stumps and other obstructions in the field it was impossible to plow. So my dad hired about five of the neighbors to hoe the corn out. My brother and myself was not old enough to keep up with the other men, so my father put us in the lower rows because we could not keep out of the way of the other men. At 12 noon the dinner bell rang. We all went to the house for dinner. There was not enough room at the table for all of us to eat at the same time so Charley and I felt we were starving and thought we ought to eat at the first table. We would wait out in the back yard until someone left he table and there was room for us. One of the men would take his chew of tobacco out of his mouth, and place it on the eave of the kitchen roof until he was through eating. I decided to play a trick on him. I found a lump of chicken manure in the yard and took the chew of tobacco and wrapped it around the manure and placed it back where the work hand had placed it. When there was room at the table, my mother called us and Charley made a dive for the door. I waited for the man to come out because I wanted to see what he would do. My mother came and called me again and I told her I would be there in a minute.

 The man came out, took his chew of tobacco, put it in his mouth, chewed on it a little while, then took it out of his mouth and said, "Frank, give me a chaw of tobacco." It was customary at that time for the employer to furnish all the tobacco for the work hands. I began to giggle at what I had done and how the work hand reacted. My mother was curious as to what I was laughtin at. I wouldn't tell her. She asked Charley what I was laughing at. He said, "Ask him." Finally she threatened to whip me if I didn't tell her what I was laughting at. I knew she would do that if I didn't tell her. I got her to promise not to whip me or let Dad whip me. the finally agreed not to whip me nor left Dad whip me. Then I told her what I had done. She told Dad and he threatened to whip me, but didn't.

At one time when I was about 16 years of age I thought I was grown up and
needed a suit of clothes. My father agreed for me to go and work hoeing corn for Uncle Ben Everidge at 50 cents per day. I worked for Uncle Ben six days and he gave me an order to Allen Martins Store, which was then located on Indian Creek. I paid $2.00 for a suit of clothes, bought three yards of calico for my mother to make a shirt and I bought a bow tie for 5 cents. I bought the rest of the order in striped stick candy and cinnamon roll. After that I was the best dressed boy in the neighborhood, I thought.

The next week my brother Charley wanted to go and work for Uncle Ben so
he could get him a suit of clothes. My father would not agree for him to go
and work because he told Charley he was needed at home. I was a ittle
headstrong so I told Dad that if he didn't let Charley go and work out him a
suit of clothing, I would go and work out one for him. I went and worked six
more days for Uncle Ben. He gave me another $3.00 order to Martins store and I gave it to Charley. He went and bought him a suit. For what I had done for Chrarley, he bought me 25 cents of striped stick candy.

Schools were very few and far between. The nineteen years I spent at home
left me with only an 8th graded education. I began to grow weary of working at home and wanted to see more of the world. I had heard of the Spanish American War. I decided I wanted to join the Army but my parents would not consent as I was only 19 years of age and the army requirement was 21 years. In any event, I started from Colson, KY and walked to Wash Craft's home in Clay County, Ky. I stayed there with Wash for a time, did his farm work at $8.00 per month and board, until the first day of June, 1900. I told Wash of my intentions of joining the Army. He had been a soldier in the Artillery during the Civil War.

He gave me some advice and a recommendation tothe Recruiting Officer at
Lexington. I then walked to East Bernstadt, Ky., and bought an L & N ticket
and arrived in Lexington on June 2nd, 1900. I was a green country boy, so I
asked a policeman to take me to the Recruiting Office. This he did. The
recruiting office questioned me. I gave my age as 22 years old. He was
curious and said, "You look awfully young to be that old." He then asked if I
had a record of my birth. I said it was in the Family Bible atg home. He then
asked if I had any other record of my birth. I said I did not, but that I was
there at the time of my birth but too young to know much about it. He
laughingly said, "You will do." I passed the examination and was sent to
Columbus, Ohio.

From there I ws sent to San Francisco, California. On the 1st day of July,
1900 we embarked on the Transport Grant enroute to Manilla, P.I. We landed in Manila on the 22nd day of August. There I was assigned to Co. B. 4th Infantry, which was stationed in the Exhibition Grounds in Manila. I was with that regiment about six months, then the 4th infantry was ordered back to the States, to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, where I was discharged on the 3rd day of  June, 1903.

After my discharge, I was employed as a street car conductor forthe Twin City Rapid Transit Co. in St. Paul, Minnesota. I then resigned that job and
returned home in March 1904. On October 6th, 1904, I married Sallie Collins, the daughter of Henry P. and Clara Collins. We moved to Whitesburg and started housekeeping. At that time I began to work for James F. Frazier, as a coal miner, digging coal for the town ofWhitesburg at the rate of 3 cent per ton. I was told that he would not pay me that amount. The first week, after I worked for Frazier, I had traded $10.00 in his store. Frazier said, "I have paid you $10.00 and still owe you $40.00. I'll pay you $40.00 and we can start fresh Monday nextg week. He gave
me the $40.00 and we started in the next Monday. I worked for Mr. Frazier for the next three years. We never had any trouble. People told lme I would have trouble with Jim Frazier if I went to work for him. He would try to gyp me in any way he could, but Jim always treated me right.

When I moved to Whitesburg, there were organizations of ball clubs;
Whitesburg, Cowan, Sandlick, Colson, Crafts Colly. They would have gaves at various places. At one time, there was a game one Saturday in Whitesburg
between Whitesburg and Cowan. Both teams was one player short. They were trying to make up full teams, so they could get along with the game. There was a large crowd assembled to see the game. I went to the Captain of the Whitesburg team and offered to play with them.

John D. W. was a revenuer with Sam Collins. Sam Collins, Jr. did the Rev.
James Collins book but died of a heart attack before it was finished.

There were five different sets of Collinses in Letcher County, black, white,
big foot, lying, stealing.!

Above two items from Homer Banks.

More About John Dorton White Collins:
Fact 2: Letcher Collins, Isom, Letcher Co., KY
Children of Sallie Collins and John Collins are:
      68      i.      Edna Ruth3 Collins, born March 09, 1906; died October 19, 1988.

Notes for Edna Ruth Collins:
MARRIAGE: To Charles Ken CASSELL; To Elmer DAY; son: John Arnold Day (3 child.) Info. from Sallie Martinez.

      69      ii.      Augustus Evan Collins, born November 06, 1908; died August 29, 1973.

Notes for Augustus Evan Collins:
MARRIAGE: #1, Nina DEAN, age 18, dau of J. W. on 1/1/1934, Letcher Co., KY,
B-73, P-65.; #2 Gladys DRAUGHAN; no issue. Info. from Sallie Martinez.

      70      iii.      Marguerite Dorton Collins, born September 09, 1913 in Letcher Co., KY; died December 03, 1994.

Notes for Marguerite Dorton Collins:
BIRTH: Birth Records.
MARRIAGE: #1 Richard DEREUTER; #2, Cecil W. HATTER, son of C. M., Letcher
Co., KY, B-70, P-77; dau: Sally T. DeRueter Martinez (3 children); Son:
William Richard DeReuter (2 children).

      71      iv.      John William Creighton Collins, born August 29, 1915 in Letcher Co., KY; died January 1990.

Notes for John William Creighton Collins:
BIRTH: Entire name from Lonnie Frazier; date from birth record which gives
name as John W. C.
MARRIAGE: To Lassie ISON; no issue.

John's Obit. " was an attorney in Whitesburg. Served with the Rough Riders during the Spanish American War. He was well liked and had many friends." John D.W. is mentioned in two books by Henry Caudill "The Mountain, the Miner and the Lord" and "Slender is the Thread". John wrote an article for the July 19, 1973 Mountian Eagle titled Recollections of another time. Ieada Maggard Smith has a copy in her " Collins File". It is about 3 typed pages and is well worth reading.
22.     i.                 EDNA RUTH5 COLLINS, b. March 09, 1906, Tillie, KY.; d. October 21, 1987, Newportnews, VA..
          ii.                AUGUSTUS EVAN COLLINS15, b. November 06, 1907, Tillie, Letcher County, Kentucky15; d. October 19, 1987, Naples, Florida15; m. (1) GLADYS DRAUGHN15; b. WFT Est. 1903-1923, Kentucky15; d. WFT Est. 1923-1996, Naples, Florida15; m. (2) NINA DEAN15, Private; b. Private.
23.     iii.               MARGUERITE DORTON COLLINS, b. September 09, 1913, Jenkins, Kentucky; d. December 03, 1994, Arlington Hospital, Arlington, Virginia.
          iv.               JOHN WILLIAM CREIGHTON COLLINS15, b. August 29, 1915, Jenkins, KY15; d. January 20, 1989, Orlando, FL.15; m. LASSIE ISON15, Private; b. Private.


Marlene Dawson 
That was my post (on Letcher Co. Ky Geneaology) & am happy to share :Knott, Letcher, and Pike deaths in an article about prohibition in the San Antonio Light (TX) dated 8 Dec 1929:

KNOTT COUNTY (Hindman County Seat)
Boe Fugate, alleged moonshiner killed by John D. W. Collins, Robert A. Collier and W.H. Kinnaird, prohibition agents, April, 1922.
A.J. Thornsberry, justice of the peace, killed by Albert Cook and Miles Bates, Jr., farmers, March 15, 1929. Will Thornsberry, county policeman, killed by Albert Cook and Miles Bates, Jr., farmers, March 15, 1929.

LETCHER COUNTY (Whitesburg, County Seat)
Steve Isom, alleged moonshiner killed by posse headed by John D. W. Collins, prohibition agent, October 21, 1921.
Ashland Collins, occupation unknown, killed by Stephen J. Cornett, deputy sheriff, November 8, 1920.

PIKE COUNTY (Pikesville County Seat)
Lewis Casebolt, deputy sheriff, killed by _____ Adams, alleged moonshiner, October 1926.
_____ Adams, alleged moonshiner, killed by deputy sheriff’s posse, names unknown, October 1926.
Frank Phillips, deputy sheriff, killed by Sylvan and Roland Branham, miners, April 1927.
Roy May, alleged bootlegger, killed by Mat Sanders, deputy sheriff, May 192(?).
Person, unknown, miner, killed by George Nunnery, deputy sheriff, 1926.

1 comment:

  1. Marlene Dawson thanks you very much..I guess I don't check comments very often, so thank you..I would be very interested to know who the Sam Collins jr is?..do you have any ideas on that?.