Married . 1)Mary Polly Boone, 2)Elizabeth James Campbell
· John COUCH Sr was born about 1750 in , North Carolina. He died about 1830 in , Perry, Ky. He has reference number 112. John was a very large man (Weighed up to 500 Lbs.) and fought in the Revolutionary War. He is supposed to have served as a wagon driver for Gen. Washington in the Revolutionary War. He later went to KY about 1800 with his son Martin and lived and died in KY. He is referred to by Martin in the Dickey Diary.
· I have marriage license to Elizabeth Campbell James in Orange Co., NC. He married her after Mary Polly Boone died. John married 3d to Mary Patterson . . . see will in NC Wills, Orange Co., NC 1752-1800 by Ruth Herndon Shields. Book C, Pg. 79. Will in archives proven 2/1796 signed Mary Patterson. "All her estate to be equally divided among the surviving children of Couch and Betsy, his wife deceased.
· The names of the children now living are Mary Couch,
· Letitia Couch,
· July Couch,
· Eleanor Couch
· and Elizabeth Couch.
· All are under 18 years of age.
· Executors: Worthy friends Robert Campbell, Roger Daniel and John Couch. Witnesses: Robert Campbell, Roger Daniel. See Ira Couch interview on 4/29/1898 at Big Creek, KY. Names John Couch as grandfather! Interview on page 2277, roll 3, John Dicke y Diary. Available from LDS in Salt Lake City, UT. Some of this information furnished by Stewart Couch and Gladys K. Frazier. Mrs. Frazier is descendant of John Couch. Stewart Couch died in about 1980.
· John Couch and Polly Boone had 6 children. After Polly died He married Elizabeth James Campbell, who was divorced from Patrick Campbell. Martin was the only issue of this union. After Martin was born John divorced Elizabeth and returned to Orange Co. NC and married Mary Patterson.
· They had five daughters before Mary died in 1796. They are mentioned in her will in my files. North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868Bride: Elizabeth Campbell-Groom: John - Date: 02 Dec 1783County: Orange Record #: 01 096 Bond #: 000096011 He was married to Elizabeth JAMES on 2 Dec 1783 in , Orange, Nc.
· He was divorced from Elizabeth JAMES. Elizabeth JAMES was born about 1745. She died about 1830 in , Perry, Ky.
· !Elizabeth James Campbell was married to Patrick Campbell JR, who divorced her. She married John Couch after Polly Boone died and bore him at least one son, Martin. She is said to be related to the famous Jessie James according to information in the John Jay Dickey Diary. I have the marriage date and license for John Couch and Elizabeth Campbell in my files from Orange Co., NC
· Notes on Patrick Campbell Jr….Patrick was born abt 1726 in Ireland or PA, and died August 28, 1799 in Muhlenberg County, KY. He married Elizabeth James abt 1751 in Augusta Co. VA., the daughter of William James and Lettice Taylor. "Patrick Campbell-Orange Co-1771. Proved Loyalty Oath to Elizabeth: children: Charles, William, Patrick, James, John, Mary, Elizabeth and Jennett."
· From Washington Co VA records. " 20th May 1752. Patrick Campbell Sr. (?) and Elizabeth, to Patrick Campbell: 212 acres. From Beverly to Patrick Sr. 21st Feb 1738; William Thompson's line, Samuel Bradford's line and John Mitchel's line; corner John Ward; corner Charles Campbell. Crossing Christian Creek and South River." From Augusta Co. VA court records, p.302 ...also... "Page 549: 2oth May 1777 Patrick Campbell Jr., and (sister-in-law) Agness to John Burk, of Philadelphia Penn. tract bought by Patrick Campbell, from Beverly 21 Feb 1738 and recorded in Orange Co" ...also... " Growth of the Irish Settlement 1752-1762 (page 118) In addition to the Luckies and Armstrongs, other pioneers from Lancaster County, PA who acquired grants or deeds in the Irish Settlement were Henry Schiles, David Strain, Thomas Douglas, William Cowan, Francis Lock, Patrick Campbell (Derry or Donegal township) XXVII. 64-65 Rowan Deeds, III, 370.
· Patrick Campbell may never have lived in Carolina, he sold his land to James Armstrong and James Brandon in 1762, at which time he was referred to as Patrick Campbell of Pennsylvania ". RowanDeeds, VI, 357 more on Patrick Campbell Jr. Fact 1: May have come from Ireland to Penn. about 1725 Fac t 2: Lived in PA, VA, KC, KY (KC?)Fact 3: 5 sons, 3 daughters Notes on Elizabeth James: Augusta Co VA records, page 50: "May 20, 1752.
· Elizabeth Campbell relinquished dower in 514 acres, conveyed by her husband, Patrick Campbell, to Charles Campbell, in Orange. (Dowry from step-father Rev. JamesCampbell)" More on Elizabeth James: F act 1: in 1830 Perry County Census F act 2: Buried Campbell Bend Cemetery Fact 3: 2nd marriage to John Couch widow with 6 childrenFact 4:When John Couch died, widowed with 6 children.
· Children of John COUCH Sr and Elizabeth JAMES were:
· +2 i.
· Martin COUCH. +3
· Austin COUCH. +4
· John COUCH Jr. +5
· James Bartlett COUCH.
He was married to Mary "Polly" BOONE about 1769 in , Orange, Nc. Mary "Polly" BOONE was born about 1746 in , Pa. She died in 1781 in , Nc. She has reference number 113. Info on death furnished by Gladys K. Frazier of Perry Co., Ky and Westland, MI. 31640 Fairchild % Carolyn Hatton, Westland, MI 48185. Lives in Letcher Co., KY. (Whitesburg) in summer. Is grandaughter of Rebecca Campbell and Pete Stacy.
Children of John COUCH Sr and Mary "Polly" BOONE were: +6
Nancy Ann COUCH. +7
Mary Polly COUCH. +8
Sarah COUCH Sally.
karencouch1added this on 4 Feb 2011
janislong70added this on 2 Sep 2011
This is a very informative article, but I would like to expand on the last 2 Paragraphs & make corrections for whose children belong to whom.
Elizabeth James Campbell is my 5th Grt. Grandmother of my Campbell line. She married John Couch in 1783 in NC., After her husband Patrick Campbell died in 1799. John was widowed with 6 children, by his deceased wife, Mary Polly Boone:
John Jr., 1769,
Nancy Ann 1770,
Mary Polly 1772,
Sarah Sally Phoebe 1773,
James Bartlett 1781.
John & Elizabeth had 1 son Martin Couch, 1785 Elizabeth had sons & daughters by Patrick & they intermarried with the Couch children.
(step Brothers & Sisters)
John Campbell, md. Mary Polly:
William Campbell md. Nancy Ann,
Jennet or (Jane) Campbell md. John Couch, Jr.
They migrated to KY. before 1810. They can be found in the 1810 & 1820 Clay co. Census.
Abt. 1821 Perry co. was formed from Clay. They are listed in Perry Census from 1830 until their death. Martin & James migrated, before 1820. They are listed in the 1810 Census in Washington, Va., but in the 1820 for Clay, & other years in Perry. Janis Campbell Long